Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Channeling Kandinsky

Kandinsky's 'Concentirc Circles' forms the basis of the colour scheme in my studio space.  I've always had a strong attachment to this painting, and while my copy is admittedly only a well-mounted print, it has managed to hold my attention for many years - far outlasting the Dali phase of my salad days.  (Melting clocks were cool and trippy for a while, then it just got weird.)

It's striking to me - because at first glance, it seems somewhat rudimentary - like a child could paint it.  Then one starts looking at the unusual colour choices.  They're brave ones, even to someone like myself, who doesn't shy away from bold color combinations.  And while shapes are familiar and easy on the eye, the blending of these is brilliant.  My admiration for this painting has inspired this shamelessly derivative collection of glass mosaic pieces I call 'Channeling Kandinsky'.

I decided that my 'tempered glass fragments over a painted background' technique would be the best choice to do justice to the original.  Although I've seen other artists capture the essence of this piece in stained glass very admirably, I wanted to emulate the colour and the blending, rather than seek to copy the painting. Futhermore, as always, I wanted the pieces to have function, as well as form, so I decided to emulate the painting style to accommodate application to household items: coasters, a mirror, and a table. 

In order to make it work, I've punched up the original colours to ensure adequate definition shows through the clear glass mosaic surface.  My circles are more uniformly round for the same reason.  Additionally, the grout lines that separate the individual glass fragments have been gilded with gold metallic powder to make the bright colours pop.

1 comment:

Thorsten said...

Oh I like Kandinsky. It is a perfect artist.