Sunday, April 18, 2010

Yes, Believe it or Not, I Do Use Patterns (Tri-Panel Celtic Knot Lamp)

I realize that some of my previous pieces may give the impression that I don't use patterns to create stained glass pieces.  The more abstract -looking pieces are actually patterns that are developed using a piecing process laid out in a wooden frame which is the height and width of the finished panel.  In a freestyle piece, the pattern begins with a few shapes that represent the focal point of the panel.  The remaining pattern pieces are created 'on the fly' using a rubbing technique to create fitted shapes of the negative spaces.  (Yes, it's often quite time consuming.)  Although my intention is often to make the pieces appear to be ad hoc, it really isn't the case.  That said, I don't often use patterns in the traditional sense, and when I do, they're usually my own design. 

In the case of this most recent project, I wanted to try something involving a pattern.  As I have just begun a course to learn the leaded stained glass technique, and knew I would be required to work from a pattern, I thought it wise to brush up.  I also came across a stunning piece of blue-green glass that was in desperate need of a project.  So I designed a Celtic Knot panel to be repeated to form the three sides of this lamp.

The blue green glass in the centre each knot is quite spectacular.  (I don't think a photograph really does it justice.)  It reminds me of looking at the Caribbean Sea from the air - rich turquoises, blues and greens.  To mind, the knot colour wasn't about complementing the centre as much as it was about setting it off.  Hence the jet black knot pieces.

Like the previous Tri Panel Lamp, the lighting fixture used is a "green" LED style cabinet light with a long life and minimal power demands.

No comments: