Thursday, February 9, 2012

Theatrical Influences

Watching a film with someone who is "in the business of making them" tends to intensify one's focus on details most people dismiss or don't see. I hadn't realized the impact this was having on my own viewing habits until I found myself pausing movies so that I could examine exotic window treatments and unusual patterns going so far as to take screen shots of specific frames so that I could trace and adapt certain elements to a stained glass pattern. This most recent stained glass lantern is a products of such obsessive whimsy. 

The solder lines of the four stained glass pattern in this lantern are loosely based on a window grate that appears behind two characters in The English Patient, as they indulge in some semi-clandestine adulterous activity in 1930s Cairo.  An odd place to find inspiration, granted, but I take it where I can get it.

This lantern is stands 1.5 feet high with an 8" base. The four glass panels are comprised of over 600 individual pieces (total) of glass in clear, red, tangerine, gold and amber. The metal lantern frame is finished in dark brown.  The solder joints in the glass panels have been finished in a complementary dark copper patina.

The lantern is suitable to hold a 3" pillar candle, though I am recommending its use with a flameless candle to avoid fire or damage to the artwork. 


No comments: