Saturday, October 30, 2010

That 70s Lamp


Unfurl the shag carpet, dust off
the disco ball, put on your boogie shoes and do the hustle.
My goal was to replace one of my own lamps that was recently destroyed during some nocturnal feline hijinks. At the same time, I was looking to explore the use of fully transparent glass. I tend to gravitate towards more opaque glass selections, as they tend to buffer light source intensity. I also wanted to construct a three dimensional object using thin strips that would maintain it's structural integrity - often a challenge using the foil method.
My intention was not really to create something quite so 'retro', but given the colours and shapes involved, I shouldn't be too surprised that this latest creation takes me back to somewhere around 1976.

No comments: